BEYOND EXERCISE PRESENTS A NEW Cross-training Program for Endurance AThletes that will ELEVATE THEir PERFORMANCE and resiliency.
The most undervalued workout in a runner's, cyclist's, and triathlete's schedule is strength training. Our program aims to take the thinking away from an endurance athlete's strength training regimen.
We will guide you through a strength and conditioning program that will make you a STRONGER, FASTER, AND MORE DURABLE endurance athlete.
This class is for any endurance athlete that needs help breaking through strength and performance plateaus, recurring injuries, and self-discipline hindrances. You will be training with like-minded endurance athletes in a group setting. The guiding principles of this program are rooted in sound strength, conditioning, and clinical research. You can expect nothing but no-frill effective and functional exercises that are designed to specifically work with training schedules for runners, triathletes, and cyclists.
Why should endurance athletes strength train?
Strength training increases the muscles ability to generate force, increases the rate of force development, increases tendon stiffness, and increases the ratio of Type IIA muscle fibers (fibers with improved fatigue resistance AND ability to produce high contractile force), and improved VO2 Economy (you can last longer at higher VO2 max efforts). Click here for resources.
We provide Three options to access our Group strength training expertise:
Foundations Strength Class for endurance athletes
- You will work on developing whole-body stability and strength. All classes are designed to address the strength, stability, and coordination shortcomings often times seen in endurance athletes.
- Drop-in rate per class is $18.00 (A 10-class pass may be purchased for $170. Expires after 3 months--we want you to commit to a regular weekly attendance in order to reap the benefits of your hard work!)
- You can come to this class as regularly as you want. Check the schedule for days and times.
12 and 16-week Periodized Program
- 12 or 16 weeks of programmed strength training. Training is performed on a weekly basis in a class format 1x/week. The program is designed to progress you through a stability and adaptation phase followed by a more sport-specific training block that will peak you in time for the below chosen races.
- Your training will follow a systematic approach to improving the strength, stability, and motor control that is often lacking in an endurance athlete's cross-training.
- Blocks of training will have different focus on intensity and movement that will evolve over the 16-weeks with the intent to peak you for your A-race.
- Duration of each class session is 65-70 minutes. Max of 8-10 participants per class.
- There are three different class offerings depending on the race:
- Monday and Wednesday at 6:30 PM. Thursday at 6:30 PM. You must commit to one of these days during the entire 12 or 16-week program.
- Rate for our 16-week programs are $280/person ($17.50/class) ***Ohio 70.3 is a 12-week program that costs $210
- We have the following strength training programs available:
Flying Pig Marathon/Half-marathon Strength Program (Monday/Wednesday): 1/16/17 to 5/3/17
Ironman 70.3 Ohio Strength Program (Thursday): 5/12/17 to 7/27/17
custom 16-week Small-Group Periodized Training Program
- 16-weeks of programmed strength training customized to fit the training schedule for your group's "A race". Your group can choose from one or two sessions per week.
- The program will be designed to prepare you for your group's "A-race" and will account for any "B-races" that the group has on their schedule. The maximum number of participants is 4.
- The start date of the training program is dependent on your group's A-race. Time and day of the week will be determined between your group and the availability of an instructor. Duration of strength sessions are 65-70 minutes.
- Rates for Custom 16-week program (one session per week):
- Two participants- $384 per person
- Three participants- $368 per person
- Four participants- $352 per person
- Add $300 per person for a second session per week. The focus during the second session will be on core strength and conditioning.
- Fill out this form if you are interested in a custom strength program at our gym.
- Classes are designed and supervised by our strength and endurance athlete specialists, one of which is the personal physical therapist and strength coach for local elite/pro endurance athletes.
- Each class is facilitated by a coach who will guide you through a warm-up, the primary workout, and cool-down at the end. There will be different levels of exercise given to participants that will be based on your current fitness and movement capabilities. This will ensure that each individual is working the appropriate muscles with the appropriate movements, which will in turn lead to improved safety and a more effective workout for you.
- Classes will build off your current athleticism--movement, coordination, mobility, strength--ensuring that we build a solid foundation from which you can evolve. This limits your risk of injury while ensuring that you become a complete athlete with strong stabilizer muscles, an active core, and appropriate muscle recruitment patterns. You will only perform movements that are appropriate for you.