Small group strength training program for Endurance Athletes
- We have runner-specific and triathlon-specific training programs.
- You can start the program anytime, but you have to begin with week 1 and move through the program in the order listed below. You do not have to complete all 16-weeks, but doing so will bring the most benefit. Each week builds upon the previous week's workout(s).
- Week 1-4: Mobility, Stability, and Coordination
- Week 5-8: Mobility, Stability, Coordination, Strength
- Week 9-12: Stability, Coordination, Strength, Power
- Week 13-16: Stability, Coordination, Strength, Power
- Each week, there will be a primary workout and a supplemental workout available. The primary workout will have components of working the lower extremity, core/back, and conditioning. If you decide that you want to train with our coach more than once per week beyond the primary workout, there will be a supplemental core/back/conditioning workout.
- The small group sessions are performed in our gym and are supervised by our strength coaches.
- Coach to participant ratio is 1:5 at the most.
- Small group sessions can be scheduled Monday through Saturday. Gym availability ranges from 5:45a to 7:00p (depending on the day).
- These are NOT classes. These are training sessions which you can schedule with a trainer at any time that is available throughout the day.
- Although this program is specifically designed for the endurance athlete, it is not customized per each individual. If you would like a customized plan, then you will need to sign up for private or semi-private personal training.
Why should endurance athletes strength train?
Strength training increases your muscle's ability to generate force, rate of force development, tendon stiffness, and the ratio of Type IIA muscle fibers (fibers with improved fatigue resistance AND ability to produce high contractile force). Strength training also improves VO2 Economy (you can last longer at higher VO2 max efforts). Click here for resources.